Professional manufacturing consultants who have the right real-world experience can provide additional bandwidth to organizations that are not yet large enough to solve all of their critical manufacturing challenges internally. All too often, CEOs and key senior management resources in small and mid-sized businesses simply do not have enough hours in a day to do their day job, let alone tackle unexpected issues that need to be addressed immediately.
Because of their subject matter expertise, successful manufacturing consultants are able to significantly contribute to both short-term and long-term goals of their clients in a way that enables them to zero in on the issue (or issues), quickly identify what needs to be done, and go to work to get it done.
If done well, the strategies and execution tactics that manufacturing consultants provide after having done their due diligence on a client and its challenges will contribute to maximizing profits, significantly improving internal capabilities and operations, gaining or maintaining a competitive advantage, and contributing to the bottom line in a meaningful way.
Successful manufacturing consultants will:
- Be backed by a proven track record that is a result of utilizing best practices to meet or exceed established goals for their clients.
- Be able to leverage their expertise across industries in the manufacturing space.
- Be unafraid to offer unbiased opinions and present solutions that can solve issues without regard to politics.
- Help companies circumvent the talent shortage, as well as retain great talent. As we hear every day, good talent is hard to find…great talent even more so.
- Provide the skill sets you need without the need for additional headcount that comes with associated benefits.
- Have worked within a cross-section of industries and can leverage knowledge gained from non-competitive clients who have faced and overcome similar challenges.
- Enable small and mid-sized business owners and management (who often wear many hats) to stay in their lane for the short-term and provide the training necessary to sustain gains made in efficiency, productivity, elimination of waste, strategies for short and long-term growth; and in general, a healthier, more profitable business with a much stronger culture that embraces the enhancements cross-functionally.
A question any organization must answer when considering whether or not to hire a consultant is whether the consultant has enough real-world experience to impact their business in a positive way, which includes contributing to a more positive return on investment overall.
At Manex, we have a highly proven track record developed over almost 30 years. We’d like to share just a few of our many success stories and associated KPIs of which we are proud. The genesis of our pride is that we have met or exceeded our clients’ expectations, which is our driving force. We do this through a collaborative and results-driven approach.
Construction Industry Client Sees an Improvement in Throughput of 166%
Faced with a flow issue resulting in increased costs and lead times, Quick Mount PV engaged Manex to course correct, with mandatories that included cost and time-to-market reductions in costs.
We implemented a quality management system (QMS) around ISO 9001:2008, along with continuous improvement methodologies like Lean manufacturing, 5S, and Kaizen events.
We delivered these results, in addition to an increase in throughput of 166%:
- ISO 9001:2008 certification
- 12.5% improvement in quality as measured by first-pass yield
- Redeployment of resources to a new product line leading to a 68% sales increase
Biotech Client Improves Productivity by 40%
When Pacific Biosciences (PacBio) made the decision to transform their organization using Lean manufacturing methodologies, they looked to Manex due to our expertise in Lean. Serving as PacBio’s manufacturing operations consultant, Manex designed a process to teach, prove, and implement concepts that achieved operational improvement goals.
In addition to the 40% increase in productivity, the results included:
- Floor space requirements reduction of 50% (Saving PacBio from having to purchase a new facility)
- Surface production throughput doubled
- Cycle time reduction of 68%
- Two manufacturing areas combined into one with no downtime
Technology Client Sees a 20% Increase in Profitability
Our high-tech client, Advanced Material Solutions, was failing to meet production goals due to shortages in materials and defective parts at the same time that profitability was off. Manex was engaged to develop a comprehensive supply chain process improvement plan to better manage materials and deadlines.
In addition to the 20% increase in sales, the results were dramatic and exceeded expectations:
- On-time delivery improvement of 90%
- Purchase price variance (PPV) flow improvement of 66%
- Inventory reduction of $500,000
- Savings in labor costs of $150,000
Are manufacturing consultants a good investment? At Manex, we sincerely believe that we are. But only when our clients have achieved their desired results.
At Manex, we approach each client with the understanding that each of their challenges and situations is unique, so we tailor our solutions accordingly. What is common throughout everything we do, however, is our laser focus on delivering measurable results throughout every step in the process.
Manex consistently provides a high return on investment (ROI) with its manufacturing consulting services for clients throughout Northern California. Whether your needs are geared more toward a manufacturing operations consultant or a manufacturing process consultant, you get the desired results. Manex’s team of manufacturing consultants is the most hired in Northern California, serving the San Francisco Bay Area, East Bay, North Bay, and South Bay, including Alameda, American Canyon, Antioch, Benicia, Berkeley, Concord, Daly City, Davis, Dixon, El Dorado Hills, Fairfield, Fremont, Gilroy, Hayward, Livermore, Marin, Milpitas, Mountain View, Napa, Newark, Novato, Oakland, Palo Alto, Petaluma, Pleasanton, Rancho Cordova, Redwood City, Richmond, Roseville, Sacramento, San Bruno, San Jose, San Leandro, San Mateo, San Rafael, Santa Clara, Santa Rosa, Silicon Valley, Sonoma, South San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Tri-Valley, Union City, Vacaville, Vallejo, West Sacramento, and Woodland.
About the Author
As Manex President and CEO, Gene Russell is a driving force behind the firm’s successful track record in helping California manufacturing companies grow and thrive. He has held three successful CEO positions over a 20-year period for businesses that included early-stage, private equity, and non-profit. He has served as senior leadership for global Fortune 100 and iconic consumer-branded companies. Prior to Manex, Russell led a turnaround at a California midsized manufacturer. His experience in global sourcing and manufacturing over several decades led him to Manex where he brings real-world experiences, and as a result, a personal passion to restore and invigorate domestic USA-based manufacturing. He can be reached at email@example.com.