Developer of the innovative Anti-Gravity Treadmill and the Bionic Leg for orthopedic and neurological rehabilitation.
Business Client Need
AlterG’s management team wanted to identify process improvement opportunities and design a new layout for their facility, which would allow the company to improve productivity. Understanding the need to solve problems using data, they turned to Manex to assess the current manufacturing process from order entry through shipping.
Manex used data-driven problem solving methodology to analyze AlterG’s operations. The process involved the following steps:
- Created a General Process Map, from Order Entry to Order Complete
- Performed a deep dive of all processes to have a better understanding of each process and where problems reside
- Developed a Current State Value Stream Map
- Performed a Team Brainstorming session that led to identifying 93 improvement opportunities, with the team voting on the 10 most important areas to address immediately
- Created a Future State Value Stream Map and noted the differences
- Performed Production Time Studies
- Analyzed Productivity Metrics to quantitatively detect gaps
- Executed RCCA / Practical Problem Solving activities to ascertain reasons for material shortages Identified Current State Layout and Optimal Future State Layout
By using Value Stream Mapping, plant layout design and productivity metrics, Manex helped AlterG reduce lead time, relocate to a new facility and improve productivity. Quantifiable benefits included:
- Reduced lead time by 3 weeks
- Reduced motion and transportation by 45%
- Improved weekly productivity by 45%
AlterG will continue to monitor their Productivity Metrics, perform RCCA/Practical Problem Solving activities and continue to implement the new layout for optimal results.